Be Informed, Be Involved
Support Your Child
When parents are involved in their children’s education, their children do better in school.
Keeping involved with children who are on the verge of adulthood can be challenging, but it’s well worth the effort.
A few things you can do are:
- Attend parent/teacher events
- Join (or start) the parents’ council in your school
- Attend events that your child participates in such as drama and sports
- Volunteer at school
- Know who your kids’ friends are, and meet their parents
- Stay involved with your child’s academic progress
Here are some links of educational organizations that can help you learn more about helping your children at school:
Support Public Education
Public education is constantly under threat – from budget cuts, school closings, class size increases, curriculum dilution, grade inflation and privatization of the public system.
OSSTF/FEESO in partnership with many others is working hard to see that these things don’t happen.
But the best way to safeguard our Public Education system is for you to make your voice heard. Write to your elected officials. Support educational organizations. You can also read the Forum magazine or follow the Queens Park Watch, both produced by OSSTF/FEESO.
Here are some links: