The Workload and Volunteerism of Educators (WAVE) study arises from a proposal in the 2013 Annual Action Plan to investigate the time our members contribute to the education system. Of particular interest were the following topics:
- the time members dedicate voluntarily to extracurricular activities;
- the extent to which apparently volunteer activities are coerced in some fashion;
- the amount of time members spend on job-related activities outside of their regularly scheduled or timetabled duties;
- the change in workload over the past five years;
- the extent to which Ministry of Education and school board directed activities encroach on discretionary professional time and the value of those activities;
- and members’ stress and satisfaction levels with their work lives.
This report was written and the study conducted by Anna Johnston-Gibbens, an externally hired researcher, under the direction of Suzette Clark, Department Head of Educational Services.