The grant is named in honour of S. Hunter Henry, one of the 62 delegates who attended an inaugural meeting of OSSTF/FEESO on December 30, 1919. He was General Secretary from 1923 to 1945. He served as Principal of Barrie Collegiate from 1916 to 1918 and then became Head of Mathematics at Central High School of Commerce in Toronto.
- The purpose of the S. Hunter Henry Grant is to assist financially OSSTF/FEESO Members in good standing with studies at a publicly-funded university or college of their choice that leads to a degree, diploma, or certificate (except in Doctoral studies). A total of $7,000 is available to provide multiple awards up to a maximum of $3,500 per award.
- Applications are acceptable from current OSSTF/FEESO Members:
- in good standing
- are currently involved in university or college studies, or will undertake university or college studies during the school year following the receipt of the award
- have a proposed plan of study which is acceptable to the OSSTF/FEESO Educational Services Committee, and
- have not previously been a recipient of this grant.
- The study must be at a publicly-funded university or college of the candidate’s choice.
- Each candidate shall submit a completed application form provided by the Federation, which shall include:
- academic and professional information
- official transcripts as evidence of university or college preparation
- a summary of the proposed plan of study
- proof of enrolment in the university or college program
- a statement of anticipated expenses
- two letters of recommendation that identify the candidate’s suitability for this award.
- It is a condition of the grant that grant recipients will provide a copy of any thesis or report resulting from the study to OSSTF/FEESO. OSSTF/FEESO may use all or part of the thesis or report without further payment to the author or the author’s publisher.
- Interpretation and administration of the terms of these grants are at the discretion of the OSSTF/FEESO Educational Services Committee subject to the approval of the Provincial Executive.
- Completed applications should be electronically submitted with all attachments.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that any attachments that cannot be submitted electronically are sent to:
Karen Metherall, Administrative Coordinator
Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation
Educational Services Department
60 Mobile Drive
The application and all attachments must be received at OSSTF/FEESO provincial office no later than April 1.