Certification · Certification FAQ



Certification FAQ

Why do I need both a Certificate of Qualification and a Certification Rating Statement?

The Certificate of Qualification, issued by the Ontario College of Teachers, is the document which you require to teach in the Province of Ontario. The Certification Rating Statement, issued by OSSTF/FEESO, ensures that you will receive the correct level of salary for your qualifications. Your Certification Rating Statement will indicate whether you are in Group 1, 2, 3, or 4, Group 4 being the highest group. Without a Certification Rating Statement, the school board will pay a teacher at the lowest salary category.

Does the Ontario College of Teachers send the OSSTF/FEESO Certification Department a copy of the Certificate of Qualification when it is issued?

No, the Ontario College of Teachers sends the Certificate of Qualification only to the teacher.

How does the Certification Department know what group to put a teacher in?

The OSSTF/FEESO Certification Department evaluates a teacher's academic and technological credentials according to the Regulations of the OSSTF/FEESO Certification Plan and then issues a Certification Rating Statement.

I have an out-of-province or out-of-country degree. Is it valid for Certification purposes?

Yes, teachers who have studied outside the Province of Ontario shall have their qualifications evaluated relative to the years of scholarity and standards required of teachers trained in the Ontario system.

Do my years of teaching experience enter into the evaluation?

No, but according to your collective agreement, years of teaching experience will determine at what step within the group you are placed for salary purposes.

I am not an OSSTF/FEESO member. Can I get a Certification Rating Statement anyway?

Yes, provided that you become a Voluntary Member of OSSTF/FEESO. The cost to become a Voluntary Member is $50 and to obtain a Certification Rating Statement an additional $100 is required.

See the Certification Rating Statement for a Voluntary Member page for the procedure to follow.

I already have a Certification Rating Statement from QECO. Why do I need one from OSSTF/FEESO?

If you teach in a public secondary school, you must have a Certification Rating Statement issued by OSSTF/FEESO.

The OSSTF/FEESO's Certification Charts are significantly different from the QECO charts and so even if you already have a QECO Certification Rating Statement, you will need to apply for one from OSSTF/FEESO.

What do I do if I disagree with my category placement according to the Certification Department?

See Procedure 9.13 of OSSTF/FEESO's Policies and Procedures (PDF).

Why does it take so long to get a Certification Rating Statement?

Briefly, the Certification Department receives thousands of pieces of mail, and they are dealt with in order of receipt. Furthermore, evaluating a teacher's academic and technological credentials can be a complex task.

How can I find out how to get a Certification Rating Statement in a higher Group?

When you receive your Certification Rating Statement, the accompanying letter will give you information on how to proceed to the next highest Group.

How can I find out if the courses I want to take will count towards upgrading to a higher Group?

Prior to taking the course(s), you must contact the Certification Department to determine the acceptability of any course to be used for upgrading. This is important because not just any course may be acceptable. It is better to get accurate information about the acceptability of the course you are thinking of taking before you spend the money.

Fill in Application Form 3 and submit the form to the Certification Department. Course Approvals usually take about 2 weeks, but be sure to apply for Course Approval well ahead of the university deadline.

I have completed additional courses/qualifications. Can I send an examination report?

No, only official transcripts are acceptable.

Once I have fulfilled the requirements to get into a higher Certification group, how do I get a new Certification Rating Statement?

Complete Application Form 2 and submit the form to the Certification Department.

I have a question to which I can't find the answer here or anywhere else on this website. How do I get the answer?

Contact the Certification Department or the Field Secretary. See the Contact Certification Department section on the main Certification page for addresses, telephone and fax numbers.

As a Technological Studies teacher, can I take Grade 12 U/M courses for upgrading to the next pay group?

Yes, the OSSTF/FEESO Certification Department can accept Grade 12 U/M courses for upgrading purposes under the Technological Chart.

Please be aware that although the OSSTF/FEESO Certification Department accepts Grade 12 U/M courses, the Ontario College of Teachers has determined that these courses cannot be used to meet the criteria for admission to the Honour Technological Studies Specialist course, which is one year of post secondary, full time study (see O.Reg.176/10).