OSSTF/FEESO has a longstanding commitment to Equity as outlined in our OSSTF/FEESO Equity Statement (see attachment below). The federation has developed a structure for equity that is supported by a provincial Equity Officer, an Equity Advisory Work Group and In-House Equity Work Group.
The Equity Officer, a member of provincial office staff with duties to:
• provide advice and assistance to members regarding the Ontario Human Rights Code and relevant legislation and the OSSTF/FEESO Equity Statement, equity issues, and equity-based barriers to participation in Federation;
• conduct and participate in training and workshops on equity and related matters;
• act as an advisor and resource person for other Secretariat members, the Provincial Executive, and equity-related advisory groups;
• assist in the preparation of materials relating to equity;
• advise the Provincial Executive through the General Secretary on human rights and equity issues within the organization;
• perform other duties relating to equity as assigned by the General Secretary;
• report when requested to the Provincial Executive and to Provincial Council and submit a written report to AMPA;
• serve as a resource for the purposes of vetting of OSSTF/FEESO policy, bylaws, events, communications, and processes from an equity perspective;
• coordinate equity initiatives within OSSTF/FEESO.
Members can contact the Equity Officer by emailing Wayne.Milliner@osstf.ca
The Equity Advisory Work Group is tasked to advise the Equity Officer about addressing barriers to participation and fostering equity and inclusion within OSSTF/FEESO.
The In-House Equity Work Group is tasked with organization issues related to caucuses, training, self-identification, and employment equity.
Federation is currently in year one of a three year pilot Equity Mentorship Program for members from Equity Seeking Groups who wish to increase their involvement in the leadership of OSSTF/FEESO. Information regarding this program including content, criteria, application for the program starting in the fall of 2018 will be released in March 2018.